Thursday, October 2, 2008
Update Extravaganza-I'm alive!
Alrighty... so I do believe it is time for me to update and post a new blog, especially considering recent events. As many of you already know, I rolled my car. I brought it on to myself so I should have seen it coming. I'm just glad I got so lucky and managed to sustain absolutely NO injuries, not even a bruise. I was coming home from work and I was going to leave a note for my parents telling them where I was because I was meeting a friend at IHOP, change my clothes, and drop off my book bag. Yes well none of that actually happened. I was only 2 miles from my house (approximately) and it was very foggy and the road was wet because it'd been storming the past couple of days and of course this all happened around 11 at night so it was dark. I came around a corner at the top of the hill and as I'm about halfway around the corner I see a branch sticking out into the road. I swerve to avoid it and end up hitting a patch of gravel from somebody's driveway. Due to the slick road and the gravel it caused me to skid across the road, of course Caitlin has no idea what to do so I decide to do the worst possible thing I can. I overcorrect which only makes the situation worse and in a matter of seconds I've managed to flip the car upside down. Thankfully I'm off to the side of the road in the ditch so if anyone else rounds the corner, not suspecting an overturned car to be there they most likely won't hit me. So at least that was taken car of. But I'm not out of my predicament yet. I'm still suspended upside down in the car. Thank goodness I wear my seatbelt because it's got me strapped in so I'm literally dangling, if I unbuckle it, I WILL hit my head on the windshield and I'm sure injure myself worse. But I really have no idea how I'm situated because the headlights are focused in dirt so are providing no light, and the only thing I can see is the glow of the radio console. So I know that I'm upside down and I know I heard glass break so now I'm afraid that if I unbuckle myself not only will I hit my head but I'll also fall into a pool of broken glass that will get embedded in me. Not the best situation I've ever been in. But I know that somehow I have to get down so I can get to my cell phone which I had sitting on the dash so is now who knows where. I braced my arms against something metal (not really sure what but I knew it wasn't glass) and my feet against the dash, well at least I'm assuming it was the dash because it was near the radio. I literally couldn't see a thing, it was pitch black. So after I had successfully released myself from the grasp of my seatbelt I began looking for my cell phone. I tentatively patted around me hoping there wasn't a lot of glass ... I found my cell phone within the first few seconds and called my dad. "Hey dad, I'm upside down sitting on the roof of the car. I rolled the car, I'm fine don't worry but I need you to come get me so I can get out of the car because I can't see anything" "(undistinguishable muttering) okay let me get my shoes on... where are you?" "I'm sitting at the top of the hill where mom and Gail and Lynell walk, I'm off on the right hand shoulder and if you could just shine your headlights on the car that'd be fabulous... thanks dad!" "Here talk to your mother, I'm on my way".... so I got to talk to my mom who is um.... well to put it nicely a little less put together than my dad. Dad is calm and collected in emergencies, mom on the other hand is freaking out that her daughter could of died... which I suppose is a reasonable reaction. Dad comes to the rescue, all we had to do was roll down the passenger window and I crawled out. The glass breaking that I heard was the side mirror that was broken... that's really the only damage. The car looks like I just gently rolled it over and it took a nosedive. None of the windows are broken, the roll bar is still intact and obviously worked effectively, the framework has a few dents but no more than any fender bender would give you. Otherwise the car is fine and I'm fine. I didn't hit my head on anything, I'm not bleeding, the seatbelt didn't cut into me, I don't have whiplash, I have no injuries whatsoever. But we decided to play it safe and take me to the ER, I mean you never know. So we're on our way to the ER and make a pit stop at the 7-Eleven to get a slurpee because that always makes everything better and then get to the hospital. While I'm getting checked out my dad gets a call from the police saying that someone called in the car as a recent accident so they sent out cruisers, the fire department, and the search and rescue, because they thought I could have hit my head and was wandering aimlessly around in the soybean field. Then they went to my house and my mom half asleep told them my dad brought me to the hospital and gives them my dad's cell phone number. Then we get a phone call from the police saying they've already towed the car and they're on their way to the hospital so that they can file an accident report because if the damage is more than $1,000 or a serious accident they have to submit it to state. Yeah, wonderfully. This is not good because now instead of calling AAA which we were planning on doing to tow the car we have to pay for the police's towing company and when the police call the tow truck you automatically pay 2x what you would have otherwise. :( Not good. I ended up checking out with nothing, they said if I developed any bruises/aches/pains to come back in... Now my dad and I are waiting at the ER for the police officer, he takes down everything I tell him... I conveniently left out the part about speeding... I was "focused on avoiding the branch in the road" I didn't know how fast I was going.... *ahem* Yup, just like that. so finally after everything's said and done my dad and I get home at 2 in the morning and I have to wake up at 6am to be at work. Not so much fun. So I got my 4 hours of sleep expecting to hurt like a mother bear in the morning after such little sleep and such a traumatic accident. But as usual I was wrong. I woke up just like it was any other day, I didn't hurt anywhere I had no bruising, no headache or sore neck, I was absolutely fine which is amazing. I went to work and then afterwards we went to go pick up the car from the towing company... cost me $300, ouch! But it could be much worse. The only damage is the side mirror, we need a new windshield because when they flipped it over they cracked it and there's a problem with the ball joint because when I rolled it I screwed it up but that's fixable and not a big deal. A few dents and dings here and there but nothing major. So as many have told me I'm pretty sure I had a guardian angel or something that day because instead of dying or being seriously injured I was just fine. Amazazing!!! My mom sent out a Pamunkey Post for those of you who get those which explains some other details but basically that's it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I haven't seen an update for awhile - I am still just so thankful that your are OK. Hope school is going well. Love, Wendy
Post a Comment