Saturday, September 13, 2008

So what if I'm a nerd

According to my mother I am a very boring college student. I don't go to crazy wild parties, I don't have wild sex, and I spend my Friday nights at my parents house eating dinner with them. And really, that's okay with me. I don't have time to waste on parties I may not remember in the morning and puking in the bushes. That does not appeal to me in the least. There are TONS of "recreational" drug users, I'm trying to avoid them so that I can keep my brain cells. I'm a little short handed as it is and I don't think that'd help any. I need to get a 4 point this year so that next year I can apply for the honors college, get accepted there and then when I apply to MCV, the medical school associated with VCU I'll have a "preferred" application. Basically meaning unless I completely screw it up, hopefully they'll like me more because I went to their college... hopefully. This is what they tell me anyway.

So where in the midst of all of this do you fit in crazy toga parties? It helps that I don't live on campus, that way I can just escape it all and go home and study. According to their formula I should be studying 2 hours for each credit hour. That's 36 hours a week plus my 30 hours I work at Cracker Barrel plus driving back and forth and somewhere I fit in eating and sleeping if I have the spare time, and this week I'm housesitting for the neighbor and taking care of their pets. I know I work to much, trust me I know, I hear it from my mom nearly every single day. I'm working on cutting back so I don't fail at life. But even if I do, where do you fit in a social life?

Last night I brought my friend home and she ate dinner with us and then we went to her dorm and watched a movie, then I had to drive home and got to bed then wake up at 6 to get ready for work. I haven't quite figured out that "balance" yet. I'm still working on it yet.
So far college feels pretty much the same as high school, you show up, don't necessarily have to pay attention and then study for the tests/quizzes and pass the class. I know it's going to get harder and I'm dreading that. Already this week I had an energy quiz, a math test and a quiz, and also my poli sci map quiz ( I think I did okay), and I had an english essay due. All in the span of one week so I can only assume that things are going to get worse. They have to get worse before they can get better right?

3 comments:

Mooonika said...

Aw man, and i think high school is bad....grrr...i really dont like how they have the system set up ya know? Where you really only study and take tests to pass...i have a friend who has test anxiety and she fails almost every test but she does understand the class...i just think it sucks....AHHH but i have so many questions!! How is your dorm? Have you met any cool people? What classes are you taking? Hahaha i will save some for next time..and i enjoy this website very much :D

Caitlin said...

I don't live in the dorms, I 'm staying at my parents house to save me $5,000+. I don't know a lot of people because I don't live on campus and I commute and most of my classes are filled with upperclassmen who are to cool to talk to the random stranger next to them. Therefore it's hard to meet people despite the fact that there are over 30,000 students. I'm taking Political Science, Energy (my fav), Biology, Biology Lab, Literature for the masses, a University 101 class for Pre-Med students and Pre-Calculus which sucks.

Anonymous said...

Caitlin,

You are certainly your Mother daugher when it comes to overdoing it! Yeah, I know you did not want to hear THAT! ;-). Anyway, just be sure to let her know to practice what she preaches! I am really enjoying your blog. Good luck with College all that goes with that. (I, too, was a waitress once with much of the same story...to much of my horror, I still have nightmares much like you described!) Have fun!

Deby (Shurtz) Ellis
(Your mother's friend from grade school and high school)